DIY Fruit & Countertop Spray

Well, its Thursday and I had promised to post this Monday...oh well!

Last year I spent a crazy amount of my time swapping out my beauty products to either clean products I could purchase or to make them myself. I had listen to a few podcast at the time about all the junk that companies put in our products and decided it was time to be proactive about myself and my families health.

So once again, I found myself at the beginning of January of this year trying to decide what I wanted to focus on cleaning up in our lives and daily routine. I has listened to a podcast by Wellness Mama where her guest, Kiran Krishnan, spoke about probiotics and leaky gut. (side note: the podcast was absolutely fascinating! I take a daily probiotic but this podcast really has had me reevaluate the kinds of probiotics I am buying) At the end of the podcast Kiran spoke to the chemicals that we are using in our homes and how they affect our bodies. He said something to the effect that he just uses water when wiping down his countertops (unless he's been cooking with a raw meat or something similar). So long story short it had me thinking about what I am using on our counter tops and if I really need to be using a spray at all. 

The other day I found myself in need of a counter top spray (think bacon grease, pancake batter, eggs, syrup...the making of a perfect brunch...stuck on my counter) and a fruit and veggie wash. I really didn't want to buy one (especially with the podcast floating around in my head) and I had two empty glass spray bottle lying around so I went in my cupboard, grabbed vinegar, distilled water, lemon and essentials oils and quickly whipped up a spray that could degrease and clean my counters and tables and clean our fruits and veggies before we ate them. Vinegar is made from the fermentation of veggies and is natural antimicrobial. I feel like it works with our bodies verus against like so many cleaners on the market.








Life on the 45th Counter Top Spray

What you need:
  1. glass spray bottle (especially if you're adding essential oils. Oils and plastics do not mix!)
  2. bottle of vinegar, either white distilled or apple cider
  3. distilled water
  4. glass measuring cup
  5. funnel (if you have one, although not completely necessary)
  6. Optional: essenital oils, such as lemon, lavender, tea tree
Directions:

Combine the following ingredient into a glass spray bottle & shake. 

  • 1 1/2 cups distilled water
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • add 20-30 drops of an essential oil of your choice
Spray on counters, tables, stoves, floors, anything needing a good deep clean!

**The Fruit spray is super similar to the counter top spray. You will use the same amount of distilled water and vinegar but adding in grapeseed oil and lemon juice to the fruit cleaner. The grapeseed oil just serves as a natural preservative and can be omitted if you do not have any on hand. The lemon juice just add an extra cleaning punch! **





Life on the 45th Fruit and Veggie Spray

What you need:
  1. glass spray bottle (especially if you're adding essential oils. Oils and plastics do not mix!)
  2. bottle of vinegar, either white distilled or apple cider
  3. distilled water
  4. lemon juice
  5. grapeseed oil
  6. glass measuring cup
  7. tablespoon
  8. funnel (if you have one, although not completely necessary)
Directions:

combine the following ingredient into a glass spray bottle & shake. 
  •  1 1/2 cups of distilled water 
  • 1/2 cup of vinegar 
  • 1 TBS lemon juice
  • 1 tsp grapeseed oil

A couple of recipe notes:
  • you can use either white distilled vinegar or apple cider. I prefer to use white distilled vinegar but just so happened to have been out when I made these
  • I typically just use the fruit spray to spray down our produce but you can easily add some of the mixture to a bowl and soak the produce instead
  • I purchase my glass spray bottle on amazon. I believe they come in a two pack. I added a heart sticker to distinguish between the countertop and produce spray
Here are the links to a few articles I had found interesting about vinegar and it use as a cleaning agent.





Comments